Are You Ready?
It is important to be prepared for disaster to strike. Without the proper preparation, families and communities can be completely devastated. Even though local officials and relief workers will be on a scene after disaster, they may not be able to reach everyone immediately. Therefore, it is important to prepare your home for the needs of your family, your neighborhood and your community.
When preparing for emergencies it is important to remember that basic utility services such as gas, water, electricity and telephones may not be available for a period of time. It will be vital to have certain supplies to mitigate these outages.
At a minimum, keep the following items in a central location in your home. Ensure that family members are aware of the "kit" in case of an emergency. Below is a list of items to keep on hand:
- 1 flashlight per person
- Extra batteries
- 1 gallon of water per day, per person
- Car charger for cell phone
- Non-perishable canned foods (be sure to have a non-electric can opener)
- Battery operated radio and clock
- First-aid kit
- Spare fuel
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Infant supplies
- Prescription medicine and glasses
- Whistle to signal for help
- Sleeping bags and blankets
- Sanitary items
- Pet supplies
Please visit the Redcross.org link below for more information on emergency preparedness
Keep the SERVPRO of Jackson & of Madison County number (601-353-2286) handy in case of an emergency.